- Iodine is one of the most important minerals required by a fetus for brain and cognitive development.
- Iodine content in most foods and beverages is low.
- 18 million babies are born mentally impaired because of maternal iodine deficiency and 38 million are born at risk of iodine deficiency. Globally it is estimated that 2 billion people have insufficient iodine intake10.
- Fortification of salt with iodine has been one of the most successful nutrition interventions to date–71% of global households have access to iodized salt.
- Salt iodization has led to an increase in IQ points and significant decline in the prevalence of iodine deficiency disorders, such as goitres.